Friday, June 1, 2012

Tomato Trellises

From Left to Right.....Rosemary and Garlic in the foreground, "Black Prince" Tomato,  Cosmos, Achillea, "Moscovich" Tomato, and  Fennel (the cage is so the squirrels don't dig it up)

Achillea and Determinate tomato variety "Moskovich"


Here I've installed two tomato trellises in my raised beds. You can see I have reused some black wire fencing I had laying around and supported it with vertical wooden stakes. The tomato the to the right of the red flowering plant (Achillia  or Yarrow) is a  determinate variety called "Moskovich". Determinite tomatoes tend to be smaller plants than indeterminate varieties and produce all their tomatoes at once in a large batch and then they are done growing for the season. I used a smaller trellis for the Moskovich because a larger one will not be needed. However, in the back corner, I have an indetermintie variety named "Black Prince".  Here I have used a larger trellis structure because indeterminate varieties keep growing and producing the whole season usually until frost. So, indeterminte varieties get larger and need more support. I used generally the same set up as I did for the determinate one, however, I used a larger piece of fencing and more stakes becuase the plant will grow much larger. I also made sure there was a space of 6" between the trellis and the fence behind to insure good airflow. I used tomato ties to attach the tomato plant loosely to the trellis so the tie does not cut the plant and cause stress.

Here are some options for ties....